If you have been involved with door hardware installation long enough, you know that everyone has their own "trick" to remember how to hand a door. Since we deal with this question multiple times each day, we thought we would share a tried and true method that eliminates any confusion. So here you go! The patented (not really) Hardware by Design method for handing a door.
1. Stand on the exterior of the door.
If these are exterior doors for your home, you would be outside. If these are interior doors, the exterior side of the door would be the hallway and the interior side would be the bedroom. Congratulations! You are halfway to handing your door properly.
2. Open the Door - Does it swing toward you or away?
3. Does it swing to the left or to the right?
Potential answers - 4 answers to the question, "how is my door handed?"
1. The door swings toward you and to the left - You have a left-hand reverse door.
2. The door swings toward you and to the right - You have a right-hand reverse door.
3. The door swings away from you and to the left - You have a left-hand door.
4. The door swings away from you and to the right - You have a right-handed door.
That's it! You are a Hardware by Design door handing Pro! :)
For all of you visual learners out there...
Please call us if you have any questions! We are always happy to assist with this or any other questions!
Hardware by Design Pro Team